Friday, March 24, 2006

 

"Augustine" Was No Saint

What a week for the Washington Post! They unveil their new Right Wing Blogger, Ben Domenech, who supposedly balances out Dan Froomkin's White House Briefing, but who soon admits (after being outed by bloggers) that he writes under the pseudonym "Augustine" at RedState.org. Not a big deal unless you call calling Coretta Scott King a communist on the day of her funeral and repeatedly plagiarizing all in a day's work.

On Monday, Digby proclaimed "this is gunna be fun" but today it was over as the Washington Post announced Ben's resignation. There's been enough written about this elsewhere but it's nice to see a small group of committed people make an arrogant institution take notice. Here is a comment I left on Digby's blog:
"And if you look at the overwhelming bulk of everything I've written, you'll find there is no question about it."
-Ben Domenech

In other words, "most of what I wrote wasn't plagiarized, so get off my back!" Reminds me of the great philosopher Homer (Simpson) who once opined, "I wasn't lying; I was writing fiction with my mouth."

It's a great day for the digby-inspired Davids of the world. A few well-organized, committed individuals banded together and uncovered enough facts, within days, that an institution, which was supposed to be built for checking facts, flat-out missed.

It's a great day, but I wonder how the empire will spin this, how they'll try to twist the firing of an obvious plagiarist and "dog whistle" racist and call it liberal bias somehow.

Oh well, y'all made an institution take notice of the truth and sent one of their golden boys back to the gated community.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?